Perspective Poker

October 16, 2008

Cabbage Tree - Thursday

Umm, i'm not dead. Its my last week of Uni and i still have 8 assignments to do :\. Ive played two tournaments since the last post and did ok in both (19th and 13th). Poker at the tree last night was tough. 65 runners made the average chip stack very very high. Both of the tournaments i played (Monday and Thursday) ive started out with the mind set of playing position poker. Raising every button and following with continuation bets depending on the action i got. But i have come to the conclusion that in a freeroll it is virtually impossible to play like this. Not until the late rounds anyway. This technique is highly dependant on the table you are sitting on. I had two players on my table that were playing most hands and calling with any draw, low-mid pair and even high card. My mate Ben was in a pot with one of them. He pushed all in after hitting a Q on the board of Q 6 4. His opponant started questioning him... "Have you got pockets?...Have you got pockets?...HAVE YOU GOT POCKETS!?". As if he had just learnt what "pockets" were and was trying to show off his extensive pocker knowledge. He then came to the assumption that Ben was bluffing or or he could have thought he was on pockets or maybe he just wanted to show that he knew what a "call" was. He called... He turned up a J 10... No pair no draw. Even a bluff could beat him. No cards came that helped his hand and Ben doubled up.
He was also the same guy who doubled me up. I limped in UTG with an A 10... Jen raised min raised in late position which scared me a little. I had played maybe 3 hands all night so my table image was very tight, i had also limped into the pot in the worst position for that move so the standard my hand had to be at was high. This information i figured she knew so i put her on a pretty good hand because of my image. A few people called the raise and i did as well... The flop came 7 2 10. I pushed all in for 1400... Taking the risk that Jen had maybe some suited connector hand. She folded... The same guy who was in Ben's pot was counting out chips... Now this is who i wanted to call... He threw his chips in and i turned up my A 10. He turned up a J 2. Bottom pair... Now i did have a little bit of worry but not much. The table was talking up that a bad beat was emminent... It did not come and i doubled up.
When it was down to 2 tables i was on the short stack... I made a push in late position with K 9 for 3500 with blinds at 1000/2000... I expected BB to call which he did. I was miles ahead of the 8 9 Bull turned up and i doubled up, he did have to make the call due to the odds he was getting. My last hand was a J 8 which i received in late position once more... It is my second fav hand and i decided to get my chips in the post. After missing everything on the board however Bull turned up the brunson (10 2). He had hit the 2 and knocked me out in 13th place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home